Sunday, November 25, 2012

Another non-recipe

Amongst the breakfast recipes is one called 'breakfast toppings for English muffins' (p155). It's not really a recipe: apart from the instruction "split muffins and toast", it's merely a list of suggested toppings. Still, I'd included it when I made my original recipe count, meaning I had to try it out.


There are four different suggestions, so I got myself a packet of muffin splits a few weeks ago and have been trying out the various toppings for weekend breakfasts.


1. Banana and cooked bacon
This one is very tasty - banana and bacon is a classic combo, especially if you add a little maple syrup (which I did). It certainly makes a more substantial breakfast than a plain buttered muffin split.


2. Ham and avocado
Also very nice - the avocado cuts through the salty ham quite nicely. I don't know if I'd necessarily consider it a combination suitable for breakfast, but it'd taste good whatever time of the day you ate it. I've just discovered that I forgot to take photos when I made this one, so you'll just have to believe me!



3. Cooked bacon and peanut butter
I don't eat peanut butter very often, which perhaps is why I enjoy it so much when I do. This is not the first Edmonds recipe I've come across with bacon and peanut butter - it's a great combination, as long as you get the balance right. I skimped on the bacon a bit, so the peanut butter dominated. Not that I didn't enjoy it - sticky, creamy half-melted peanut butter with a hint of bacon? Yuuum!


4. Jam and Cheese
This is the simplest of the four toppings, but simpler doesn't mean less tasty. Jam and cheese is always a nice combination: a nice fruity jam contrasting with savoury cheese. Not a bad little breakfast.



A toasted muffin split or two always makes a nice breakfast - though in the past I've tended just to have them buttered or with a little jam. It seems that getting a bit more creative with my toppings can be worthwhile!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts this week