Saturday, September 24, 2011

Breakfast grill

Amongst the 576 items in the Edmonds book that are included in my list of recipes to complete, there are a handful that are so basic as to hardly merit the title of 'recipe' at all. One of these is grilled grapefruit (p156).




All you need to do is cut the grapefruit in half, then use a sharp knife to separate the flesh from the skin and membrane, leaving (theoretically) neat little segments of flesh within the shell of the grapefruit. Mine were not terribly neat, but still served the same purpose!


That part takes the longest. When it's done, all you need to do is sprinkle brown sugar on top and place the grapefruit halves under the grill. The instructions indicate that you should do this 'until sugar melts'. Seeing as the sugar had dissolved into brownish mush as soon as it came into contact with the grapefruit juice, I couldn't really use this as a guide. Instead, I just let it grill for a few minutes and then took it out and placed a glacé cherry in the centre of each.




I was quite surprised at how good my grilled grapefruit was. It was deliciously juicy, and I'd added enough sugar to compensate for the natural bitterness of the grapefruit. Ok, yes, it's got a lot of added sugar. I should know, since I was the one who added it! And that's the key: at least you can control how much sugar has been added to your breakfast - not the case with sugary cereals and similar. There's a whole heap of worse things you could be eating for breakfast. With that in mind, I might very well treat myself to a grilled grapefruit every now and then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts this week