Thursday, February 9, 2012

Half a packet of peanuts

I was flicking through my Edmonds book the other day, trying to decide what I could make for my morning teas this week. I rejected several recipes due to not having the appropriate ingredients, but then I noticed peanut brownies (p42). I still had some roasted, unsalted peanuts in the cupboard from the carrot salad I made a few weeks back - and here was the ideal way to use them up!


I should perhaps point out that a peanut brownie is a biscuit; it's not a brownie in the cake-like American style. Not that there's anything wrong with that kind of brownie, of course: I love American brownies, it's just that this isn't one.


It only took a few minutes to cream butter and sugar, then add eggs and dry ingredients before stirring through the peanuts. This produced a mixture that was soft and easy to roll into balls, but not wet enough to make your hands sticky.


When I had all my balls of biscuit dough laid out on a tray, I squished them with a fork and put them in the oven for 15 minutes. The resulting biscuits were crisp and sweet, with just enough peanuts to make them  more interesting than a plain bikkie.


 It's easy to be put off this recipe because the ingredient list seems to suggest you roast your own peanuts - not a difficult task in itself, but one that lengthens the time and effort required to make a very simple biscuit.


If you want to roast your own peanuts, go ahead. Otherwise, just buy yourself some pre-roasted ones like I did. Either way, once you have the nuts sorted, you're about 20 minutes away from a fresh batch of peanut brownies.Yum.

2 comments:

  1. They looked really good. Your oldest bro would approve they used to be his favourite once.I used to make them using the instant pudding recipe, much the same I would imagine. Always a hit.c

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love peanut brownies. My Grandma used to make me batches of them when I was in the hall of residence at uni :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular posts this week