Saturday, October 29, 2011

Greeting Guests

My brother, sister-in-law and nephew arrived in Christchurch on Friday morning, on a visit from Canada. On Thursday night, it occurred to me that it would be a good idea to have some baking in the cupboard to offer my weary guests with a cup of coffee.




Since I had a couple of brown bananas in the fruit bowl, it would probably have made sense to make a banana loaf. That didn't occur to me at the time, though, and by making fresh lemon loaf (p27) I was able to tick off another uncompleted recipe.


It's pretty much a standard loaf, with the addition of some lemon zest to the creamed butter and sugar. It also has walnuts in it, but I omitted these on the grounds of a) not having any, and b) my brother not being a big fan of fruit and nuts in baking.




I spooned my mixture into a loaf tin and put it in to bake for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, I prepared the glaze, dissolving sugar in lemon juice and bringing it to the boil. When the loaf came out of the oven, I poured the glaze over, trying to coat the whole loaf evenly, and left it in the tin until the loaf had cooled completely.


Mum, Dad and I went to meet Daz, Esther and baby Isaac at the airport, after which all of us came back to my place for the day. My fresh lemon loaf was enthusiastically received by all - even little Issac had a few bites.




Fresh lemon loaf is nothing fancy: it's just a good honest loaf with a soft texture and a subtle lemony flavour. If you're after something nice and filling with a cuppa, this one's worth your while.

1 comment:

Popular posts this week