Monday, March 28, 2011

Sugarfree pudding

Since the banana pancakes only used one cup of pancake and pikelet mix, I still had more than half a box left. Luckily, there are some other recipes that use it as an ingredient, so tonight I decided to make myself a lemon coconut pudding (p217).


It was fairly simple: just beat some pancake mix with butter, eggs, milk, sugar, coconut and lemon zest, pour into a shallow oven dish, and bake. So simple in fact that I didn't bother to read the recipe carefully and missed out the sugar.


(If you've been reading this blog for a while, there'll be something familiar about the scenario described above)


Of course, I didn't notice at the time that the sugar was missing. The pudding baked beautifully, and came out appetisingly golden and smelling delicious. I scooped out a generous portion, added some greek yoghurt, and sat down to try it.


Bear in mind that I still hadn't realised that the sugar was missing. And as such I wasn't impressed with the recipe at all. It tasted more eggy than anything, and was kind of rubbery in texture. I managed to finish what was in my bowl, but don't think I'll be going back for seconds.


Having now worked out that there should have been sugar in it, I can see that the pudding ought to have tasted different - sweeter, certainly, though I can't see that a bit of sugar would entirely cancel out the egginess. And any improvement to the texture would surely be minimal. Having followed this recipe incorrectly, I'm not actually in a position to offer a valid opinion on the pudding, but I don't believe it'd be worthwhile trying it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts this week