Sunday, June 20, 2010

Budget challenge food diary - week 1

Just to prove to you all that I'm not cheating, I'm keeping track of all the boring details of what I've eaten each day. Makes for terribly interesting reading..


Monday 14/06/10
Breakfast: porridge with yoghurt and a handful of blueberries from the freezer. No, I'm not eating porridge because I'm making a sacrifice for the sake of the budget; this is exactly what I eat every morning. Porridge is good for you: try it!
Morning tea: 2 honey oat biscuits. Yep, they're still going! The recipe made quite a lot, but I'm nearly through them now.
Lunch: leftover chicken creole and rice; yoghurt; banana
Dinner: 4 slices chicken loaf; 1 boiled potato; steamed broccoli and carrots.


Tuesday 15/06/10
Breakfast: porridge with yoghurt and blueberries
Morning tea: 2 honey oat biscuits
Lunch: chicken loaf makes a really good sandwich! Also 1 banana.
Dinner: leftover chicken loaf; green beans from freezer; more steamed broccoli.


I also decided to slice and fry a boiled spud left over from last night. This was reasonably unsuccessful, because:
a) I used an old frying pan which had lost its non-stick surface;
b) I started off with too little oil in the pan, then accidentally added too much;
c) I'd intentionally bought floury spuds for mashing, so they just fell apart and went all mushy in the pan.
Never mind, they still tasted ok, especially with a sprinkle of garlic salt - it's amazing how many things taste better with garlic salt!

I'd sat down to eat before I realised I'd forgotten to reheat the chicken loaf. I couldn't be bothered getting up again, so I ate it cold. Chicken loaf is good cold in e.g a sandwich, but not so good with a plate full of hot veges. Oh well.



Wednesday 16/06/10
Breakfast: porridge with yoghurt and blueberries

I'd finished off last week's yoghurt, so I bunged some in the EasiYo overnight. I don't usually get the natural flavour, but it was cheaper - and this week's all about the cheaper options! Once it's mixed in with the blueberries it just tastes
like blueberry yoghurt anyway.

Morning tea: the last honey oat biscuit and 2 dried apricots.
Lunch: A bowl of my pumpkin soup (really quite tasty, and very filling); 1 apple.
Snack: 2 pieces sultana loaf. Well, I had to taste it - quality control, you know! Anyway, I was hungry.

Dinner:
Chopped up the last of the chicken loaf and, with the help of some frozen vege and a generous dollop of sweet chilli sauce, made a highly unorthodox but perfectly edible stir-fry.



Mum and Dad asked me tonight; "how come there's no milk or bread on the list of stuff you bought?" Well, it's quite simple: I really don't use very much of either. I had enough milk left over from last week to make my fish pie, and maybe a couple of milos this weekend - next weekend I'll have to drink hot blackcurrant. As for bread, there's a loaf in my freezer. That should be plenty enough to get me through.




Thursday 17/06/10
Breakfast: porridge with yoghurt and blueberries
Morning tea: 2 pieces sultana nut loaf (and some of the chocolate cheesecake that appeared in the office, but I didn't make that, or pay for it, so it doesn't count)
Lunch: pumpkin soup, 1 banana
Dinner: fish pie with beans and peas from the freezer


Friday 18/06/10
Breakfast: porridge with yoghurt and blueberries
Morning tea: 2 pieces sultana nut loaf
Lunch: pumpkin soup, 1 apple
Dinner: came home absolutely starving and couldn't be bothered with veges. Just heated up some leftover fish pie.


Saturday 19/06/10
Breakfast: porridge with yoghurt and blueberries
Morning tea: 2 pieces sultana nut loaf
Lunch: pumpkin soup, 1 apple. That's the last of the pumpkin soup I didn't put in the freezer - which is lucky, since I was getting quite sick of the stuff!
Dinner: reheated fish pie; veges from freezer.
Pudding: wholemeal fruit crumble with frozen yoghurt from freezer.


Sunday 20/06/10
Breakfast: porridge with yoghurt and blueberries
Morning tea: 2 pieces sultana nut loaf
Lunch: 2 cheese toasties with tomato chutney
Dinner: chicken creole from freezer; rice
Pudding: leftover wholemeal fruit crumble




So that's the first week done: no worries. One more week to go - and I've still got $2.20 to spend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts this week